Free Consultation 360.524.4767


Hit by an Uninsured Driver: What You Should Do

Posted by Quinn Posner | Sep 07, 2018 | 0 Comments

Any vehicle accident can lead to property damage, serious injuries, or even death. Even when a driver is insured, it can be a long battle to get the financial compensation you deserve. When a driver causes your accident and is not insured, the difficulties can be overwhelming without legal help.

If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, the help of an experienced Washington personal injury attorney is crucial to protecting your rights. You do not have to face this difficult situation alone.

Car Insurance Requirements in Washington

Washington requires that all drivers of cars have insurance to cover the cost of injuries or other damages that they cause in an accident. This "liability coverage" is intended to ensure that any person hit as the result of a car accident will receive the money due to them. Washington requires that drivers carry insurance that can cover

  • $25,000 per person per accident,
  • $50,000 for all injuries or deaths in a single accident, and
  • $10,000 for property damage which may occur per accident.

Optional coverage includes Personal Injury Protection, which is automatic unless rejected in writing. Washington law also permits certain alternative proofs of financial responsibility, including

  • Saved cash or Security Deposits,
  • Self-Insurance, or
  • Liability Bond.

How to Get Compensation From an Uninsured Driver

When dealing with an uninsured driver, you have two primary options moving forward. You can make a claim with your own insurance policy, but that, of course, costs you. This is far from fair when the accident was caused by another person's negligence. Underinsured motorist coverage on your policy may help to compensate you for your expenses, but your insurance company will be looking for its own best interests, rather than yours. An experienced personal injury attorney can help negotiate with the insurance company to protect your interests.

Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Washington

The second option is to file a personal injury lawsuit against the uninsured driver. In the lawsuit, you will prove that it was the other driver's negligence that caused the accident and your resulting injuries. This includes

  • Medical bills,
  • Lost wages,
  • Loss of earning capacity,
  • Pain and suffering, and
  • Loss of consortium.

How Do I Collect My Trial Award from an Uninsured Driver?

It can be challenging collecting the award from an uninsured driver without the proper help. In most personal injury cases, the driver who caused your injuries has insurance, and most if not all of the damages can be collected from that insurance company.

When there is no insurance company from which to collect, a knowledgeable personal injury attorney can

  • Assess the other driver's assets,
  • Attach liens,
  • Garnish the driver's wages, or
  • Seize bank accounts.

Consult a Washington Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been in an accident with an uninsured driver, you need an experienced attorney who understands the personal injury process and how to effectively prove that another person caused you harm. You do not have to face this process alone.

Experienced personal injury attorney Quinn Posner represents clients in Camas, Washougal, Vancouver, and the rest of Clark County. Contact Quinn Posner today to schedule a free consultation.

About the Author

Quinn Posner

Location: Vancouver, Washington Phone: 360-524-4767 Fax: 360.326.1913 As a former Clark County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney and in-house insurance defense attorney for a large international insurance company, litigation is my passion. That is why I have chosen personal injury and eviction law to focus my practice on.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

My commitment to you

To guide you through the process, help you get your life back to normal, and to recover the compensation you deserve.

Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.